Vancouver Community College
Who We Are We acknowledge that Vancouver Community College ( VCC ) is located on the traditional unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) peoples who have been stewards of this land from time immemorial. For over 55 years, VCC has been a leader in innovative, experiential post-secondary learning. We’re one of B. C’s top employers and we are proud to inspire students to discover their passions, gain essential skills, and learn what it takes to succeed in a competitive workforce.
At VCC , we respect and celebrate our differences, and are committed to the work of decolonization, accessibility, and inclusivity for all. Be a part of creating an inclusive community that provides equitable opportunities for Indigenous and diverse representation, participation, and success for everyone. We value lived experience and encourage applications from members of all groups experiencing barriers to equity. Come join the VCC community as we shape the future together.
Term of Appointment: As per the VCC Faculty Association collective agreement “The terms of appointment shall conform to 3-year cycles that end on June 30th. Appointments that commence at unusual times will be extended so as to conform to the term cycle as referenced above. The term will end after the 3-year cycle, unless other appointed to a second 3-year cycle”. Commencement date: July 1, 2023 Responsibilities: 1.
The position is directly responsible to a Department Head and holds a faculty position. It is therefore covered by the Collective Agreement between the College and the Vancouver Community College Faculty Association. 2. The incumbent shall be evaluated during their probationary year and shall have a Performance Appraisal conducted on a yearly basis thereafter by the Department Head.
3. The specific responsibilities listed below are not intended to be a complete and definitive listing. The position is expected to have their responsibilities delineated by the Department Head although they are to use their discretion and initiative to deal with situations as they arise and to assume other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Department Head. Job Duties/Responsibilities The main duties and responsibilities fall within four general areas: a) Program curriculum and instruction b) Faculty, staff and student relations c) Planning and development d) Administration A.
Program Curriculum and Instruction 1. Anticipates the needs for additional faculty and changes in faculty within the program responsibility area (referred to herein as the “area”) and informs the Department Head on a continuing basis. 2. Participates in the effective supervision of departmental activities as assigned by the Department Head.
3. Coordinates the establishment of course assignments and related duties and responsibilities for each member in the area. 4. Assists in course, program, faculty scheduling matters as requested by the Department Head.
5. Arranges with the Department Head an appropriate teaching schedule in order that both instructional and administrative responsibilities can be achieved. 6. Under the Department Head’s direction: – Maintains an appropriate level of instructional quality and quantity; – Develops and achieves the course outlines and objectives and completes the planned curriculum; – Utilizes examinations and methods of assessment of an appropriate and adequate order; – Develops equipment and facility lists.
7. In cooperation with the Deparment Head, participates in the evaluation of term and probationary faculty within the area and as per the Collective Agreement. 8. Ensures that an instructor is present for each class in the area and provides for an alternate instructor when necessary.
9. Provides advice to students, and liaises with Counselling, Admissions and other support staff services in these and other matters. B. Faculty, Staff and Student Relations 1.
Acts as the principal liaison between the faculty members in the area and the Department Head. Be prepared to participate in meetings called by the Department Head. 2. Maintains liaison with other Assistant Department Heads in the department to interpret points of view, problems and practices.
3. In addition to full department meetings convened by the Department Heads, the Assistant Department Heads convene meetings of faculty members within the area on a regular basis. 4. Assists the Department Head in keeping members of the area informed on campus/college developments.
5. If deemed necessary, establishes committees and delegates duties and responsibilities to committees within the area. 6. Under the direction of the Department Head, distributes duties and responsibilities in an equitable manner.
7. Cooperates with the Department Head in giving guidance and assistance to faculty without previous instructional experience both in instruction and in course planning. 8. Resolves problems which may arise between faculty members within the area and/or problems between faculty members and students.
C. Planning and Development 1. Assists the Department Head in the coordinated administration of programs of professional growth for the faculty. 2.
Actively participates in attempting to place graduates. 3. Maintains and improves the adequacy of buildings, rooms, equipment, stores, etc. , relative to the area of responsibility.
4. Advises and assists in the program and facilities planning. 5. Aids in the development of course and curriculum materials.
D. Administration 1. If designated by the Department Head, be prepared to act as and to carry out the duties and responsibilities of the Department Head in his/her absence. 2.
Recommends to the Department Head any desired changes in courses and/or programs. 3. Ensures, in concert with the Department Head, that appropriate representatives attend standing articulation committee meetings. 4.
Ensures, in concert with the Department Head, that appropriate representatives attend Program Advisory Committee meetings. 5. Assists the Department Head in preparing budgetary requirements for the program area. 6.
Prepares annually and submits to the Department Head each March a brief statement or report upon the growth, development, activities and future of the area. 7. Assists the Department Head to orient new faculty and support staff. Area Hiring Criteria Grade 12 or equivalent Demonstrated recent work experience of at least 10 years as a certified journeyman cook and a minimum 2 years managerial experience Excellent interpersonal and business communication skills in English language (oral and written) Comprehensive knowledge of Lower Mainland Tourism & Hospitality industry with specific emphasis in the cooking industry Post‐Secondary teaching experience preferred Completion or near completion of ID Program or equivalent preferred Salary Range – Prorated based on FTE In accordance with the VCCFA Collective Agreement Employment Group Faculty Type of Position Temporary Employment Type Full Time Department CULINARY ARTS Primary Location – This position may require you to work at all VCC locations.
Downtown Is this posting only for internal applicants. Yes Desired Start Date – May be subject to change 07/01/2023 Position End Date – If temporary 06/30/2026 Additional Notes for Applicants Posting Open Date 03/17/2023 Posting Close Date 04/09/2023 Is this a pooled posting. No Supplemental Questions Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().
To apply, please visit the following URL:https://www.adzuna.ca/land/ad/3988448541?se=CA_30VnH7RGxSlWdXaVefw&utm_medium=api&utm_source=87f40606&v=DAF423FBE1A9DEC5394404305385F99584D03845→