Website BC Maritime Employers Association
The B.C. Maritime Employers Association (BCMEA) is a well-established maritime focused organization based in Vancouver, BC with a mandate to elevate our communications and member relations offerings.
BCMEA represents 49 waterfront employers and by extension, over 9,400 men and women working within the west coast port terminal facilities. BCMEA member companies are an essential part of the economy in B.C. and Canada, operating 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Moving over $180 billion worth of cargo annually and 16% of Canada’s traded goods, our members serve as Canada’s vital trade link to the world. Together with our members, we proudly make sure that B.C. ports are competitive on a global level.
The Position: We are recruiting for a Communications Manager to support our Association during an exciting and unprecedented time. The demands on our public affairs team during the pandemic and supply chain disruptions requires additional support to deliver clear, timely and relevant information to our members, a diverse group of stakeholders and the public. Reporting to the Director of Public Affairs and Corporate Social Responsibility, the Communications Manager will be a key ambassador for the organization.
The Communications Manager position is full-time and the incumbent must be flexible with their ability to complete work during evening or weekends as the role demands.
- Lead in the development and execution of our Association’s internal and external communications
- Create a comprehensive corporate communications strategy, utilizing an internal engagement platform
- Provide media relations support, including gathering information from subject matter experts, sourcing photos and digital assets, draft media materials and lead in coordinating interviews
- Coordination and management of external communications consultants
- Liaise and develop relationships with media representatives on behalf of the Association
- Lead in the production and distribution of a regular occurring newsletter
- Management of social channel content development and approvals
- Manage and lead in the implementation and consistent usage of BCMEA brand assets
- Project management of special communications projects, including Annual Reports
- Oversee the revitalization of BCMEA website and handle ongoing website updates
- Support engagement with government representatives and elected officials
- Manage updating engagement database with member information
- Support the Executive Team with the curation of presentations and slide decks
- Work with IT department to post to the Association’s website (utilizing WordPress).
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Understanding of effective communications methods, including the ability to target communications to different audiences to fulfill specific purposes
- Experience with managing and developing content for social media including X, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn
- Experience with speech writing, letter writing and preparing presentations
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as an integral member of a collaborative high performing team; strong interpersonal skills
- Solid project management, organizational, planning and logistical skills with the ability to meet tight deadlines in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office Suite, WordPress, Canva and Photoshop
- Experience with graphic design and development of social media shareables is an asset
- Experience or interest in Industrial worksites is a plus
We offer hybrid working arrangements and a competitive total compensation package.
The BCMEA is committed to employment equity and welcomes applications from everyone. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.