Website Morson Canada
Role: Distribution Engineer Vancouver Island
Location of Services: Victoria – Hybrid
Work Assignment Overview: Distribution Engineer for Vancouver Island Team based in Victoria.
Estimated Work Start Date: 15-Jan-2024
Estimated Work End Date: 29-Nov-2024
Max Inc Rate: $98/INC
Max T4 Rate: $81/T4
• Prior to commencement on assignment, the selected candidate must have their own sole practitioner, or the use of their firm’s, Permit to Practice with EGBC.
Education and Skills
Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
• BC Hydro uses a Digital Sign and Seal Technology. You may be required to subscribe to a digital seal technology service offered by Notarius
Additional Experience and Role Accountabilities
• All the required Experience and Role Accountabilities shall relate to Overhead – and underground electric utility distribution systems operating at voltages at or below 35kV.
• Support operations, maintenance, repair, replacement and expansion of the BC Hydro Distribution System.
• Investigate, analyze and solve a variety of engineering problems, including the more challenging and unusual, by developing engineering techniques, devising new approaches and/or applying existing criteria in new ways
•Provide technical guidance, instruction, and assistance related to the operation, maintenance, troubleshooting and modifications of equipment
Education and Skills
•Degree in Electrical Engineering recognized by universities in Canada, Power Engineering preferred
• Demonstrated experience and technical knowledge in both Overhead – and underground electric utility distribution systems operating at voltages at or below 35kV including automation
• Broad range of distribution related skills including planning, system engineering, protection engineering, design, and project management
• Demonstrated ability to perform system analysis
• Knowledge of various BC Hydro systems, policies and procedures, preferred
• Willingness to travel
• Maintain good standing in Engineers & Geoscientists British Columbia (EGBC) throughout the term of the contract
• Maintain Driver’s License Class 5 throughout the term of the contract
Work Assignment Requirements
Fulfill the role of Regional Distribution Engineer for Vancouver Island communities. For medium voltage circuits 12 – 35 kV, complete load flow, load balancing, and fault current studies using CYME DIST software, Protection Coordination Studies using CYME TCC, design equipment settings for Voltage Regulators, Switched Capacitor Banks, Switch Gear Protective Relays, and Reclosers. Conduct investigations into circuit disturbances. power quality issues and prolonged outages.
Assess circuit capacity reviews to determine if work is required to connect new customers. Make recommendations to mitigate circuit problems. Support Field Operations by investigating safety and reliability concerns with the Distribution System, and propose practical and economical solutions to the Planning group. Review medium voltage customer technical applications for conformance to BC Hydro system requirements review customer applications for variance from BC Hydro standards for technical merit, and accept or reject their proposals.
Review designs completed by BC Hydro contractors to ensure they meet the project scope and distribution system requirements. Support other team members through technical knowledge sharing and by conducting peer quality checks. Meet or exceed BC Hydro Professional Practice Quality Management standards and practices. Find engineered solutions to non-standard circumstances and challenging site conditions.