Website Vancouver Coastal Health
In accordance with the standards of practice and the established vision and values of Vancouver Coastal Health, the psychiatrist who accepts this position will provide expert concurrent disorders consultation for patients of ages 17 and up suffering from combination of addiction and other serious psychiatric disorders as well as assist in the enhancement of Quality & Safety, and research initiatives. In addition, the psychiatrist will work on the CPAS services providing specialized pain and addiction consultation on various psychiatric and non-psychiatric inpatient units of Vancouver General Hospital & UBCH.
The psychiatrist will work in collaboration with other psychiatrist, psychologists, nurses, psychiatric nurses, social workers, occupational therapists, peer-support workers, patients and their families to provide comprehensive consultation services.
The psychiatrist will serve as a resource in dealing with mental health, pain and addiction issues and symptom management with a strong knowledge base in psychopharmacology, including Opioid Agonist Therapy (OAT), and psychotherapy.
The Psychiatrist must have completed a fellowship in addiction medicine or addiction psychiatry, hold a methadone licence and be certified to provide Injectable Opioid Agonist Therapy (iOAT). Formal pain medicine training is an asset. The psychiatrist will also be involved in innovative treatment interventions and will participate in the training and education of medical students, residents and other allied health professionals. Active participation in academic activities and clinical care is expected. The psychiatrist should have a good knowledge of Community resources.
The psychiatrist will work on the CPAS consult service at VGH & UBCH providing patient focused care for people with combined pain, addiction and other psychiatric disorders and their families. Excellence in clinical care will be offered based on the best available evidence with treatment tailored to each person’s individual needs. The clinical program integrates biological treatments (psychopharmacotherapy/OAT) and Psychotherapy.
Education, Licensing, & Experience:
- Current College of Physicians of BC – Full
- Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) – Mandatory
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Canada (FRCPC) – Mandatory
- Specialist qualifications in Psychiatry from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
- Successful completion of an Addiction Medicine or Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship Program.
- An active Methadone licence.
- Certified to provide Injectable Opioid Agonist Therapy (iOAT).
- Formal pain medicine training is an asset.
- Eligibility for a clinical faculty appointment with the UBC Faculty of Medicine.
- Additionally, the candidate should have a demonstrated ability working as a member of an interdisciplinary mental health team.
- A commitment to participate in new methods in health improvement and care delivery.
- Experience working with complex addiction, pain and general psychiatric disorders population.
- Experience with academic psychiatry.
- Publications in academic journals.
- Candidates must meet the credentialing requirements of Vancouver Coastal Health
Interested in applying? Feel free to reach out to Michelle Sylvest, Executive Medical Staff Talent Acquisition Advisor: , or click “Apply Now.”
Please note that a resume is required to apply for this position.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees and medical staff working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and “going first” when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers in 2023.